NOTE: Registration is now available!
To register, please log-in to the members area. After you login, select "Register for Fall 2016 Events." Then, please update your personal information. Finally, click on the links to the left in the members section for the appropriate event and complete your registration.
Join us for the LOM Learning Events, which are typically held each fall. The learning events give outdoor ministry professionals the opportunity to learn new skills, enhance their understanding of administration and programming of camps, and network with others across the country in similar job positions. Here is a list of upcoming Leadership Training Events:
- Dates: November 3-7, 2016
- Place: Carol Joy Holling Conference and Retreat Center, Ashland, NE
- Fly Into: Omaha Airport (OMA) Arrival before 3:30 p.m. on Thursday Nov. 3; Departure after 10:30 a.m. on Monday Nov 7th. Airport shuttle fee round trip = $10.00 per person
- Cost: 4 nights, 10 meals, snacks, linens and full program. Sjogren Center: Double Occupancy = $450.00 Single Occupancy = $550.00. Western Town: Quad Occupancy = $375.00 Single Occupancy = $425.00
Purpose: The purpose of the Leadership Training Event (LTE) is to provide an entry-level educational opportunity for outdoor ministry professionals. The LTE helps to develop well-trained, committed and diverse outdoor ministry professionals, enhance the quality of outdoor ministry programs, support professionals through formal and informal learning and assist in the retention of professionals in the network.
- Connect foundation Lutheran theology and worship practices with outdoor ministry philosophy.
- To develop and clarify a personal philosophy of outdoor ministries as it relates to the church.
- To educate participants in basic, sound operating outdoor ministry principles.
- To provide information about outdoor ministry administration and program.
- To support outdoor ministry professionals by providing networking opportunities through formal and informal learning settings.
- To engage all participants in challenging dialogue about the purpose of outdoor ministries.
- To inspire and encourage outdoor ministry professionals in their calling to ministry.
Why is it important? Outdoor ministry plays a critical role in forming faith, making disciples and developing leaders. The LTE provides:
- Integration of Lutheran theology and outdoor ministry practice.
- Educational opportunities in core areas of both camp administration and program.
- A format and schedule that offers a wide variety of general information in effective leadership.
- Support and encouragement for each other responding to Christ’s call to discipleship.
- Connections that allow opportunities for informal mentoring.
- A foundation and understanding of where to begin and where to go.
- A setting for honest discussion about the joys and challenges that face professionals and organization.
Who will attend?
- Those new to outdoor ministries, searching for information and needing a general background of information.
- Those currently in outdoor ministries, but who would like additional education, information, or a different viewpoint.
- Those interested in year-round positions in outdoor ministries.
- Those interested in a well-rounded perspective of outdoor ministries.
From Carol Joy Hollling, our conference site
To Our Guests With Special Dietary Needs:
The Food Services staff at Carol Joy Holling Center aims to provide creative and delicious dining experiences for all of our guests. And, we want to be supportive of our guests who are unable to enjoy some of our offerings due to certain food intolerances or allergies. In those cases, we ask our guests to be sure to use discretion in deciding what food choices to make at each meal. Even though we cannot guarantee that specific ingredients or allergens are not present (we do not have separate kitchens to prepare allergen-free items), we want to do our best to accommodate your needs. So, at your request, we are happy to always have the following replacement items available for you:
- Plain Grilled Chicken Breast
- Gluten Free Roll
- Vegetarian Burger on a Bun
- Soy Milk
Many times guests with specific allergies or dietary needs choose to bring their own special food items to supplement what we serve. Of course, we support those decisions and are happy to provide refrigerated space to store those items for you. Typically, our menus are planned one week ahead and our team will gladly make them available for you to help you make your food decisions. Please contact me if I can help you better prepare for your time with us.
Chef and Food Services Manager